SimonPaulMills
Dec
14

This ever growing production progress thread is a brutally honest representation of an artistic thought process I am going through to develop a sci-fi-horror animated web series. The thread contains images and videos that start out extremely rough but will get better as time passes. Drop a constructive comment below, I would love to hear your thoughts.

 

February 6th 2018

After taking a few weeks off to pay for a massive GPU upgrade( 2x Nvidia 1080Ti’s), I added ambient motion elements to the scene along with some blood and grime to really set the mood.

 

January 11th 2018

I created the first 20 seconds of the episode edit and added some Voices to test it out! I dabbled with using geometry for ambient dust instead of traditionally composited particle plates.

 

January 4th 2018

Added character and camera export/import to the extremely useful Maya to Marmoset pipeline tool. Put together a simple UI for attaching motion capture to characters quickly. Refined the environment model and even created a few demo shots.

 

December 14th 2017

This week I built an extremely useful Maya to Marmoset pipeline tool that will speed me up dramatically as I move forward with the project. The tool is in its early stages but it going to serve well as a backbone to the entire process.

December 6th 2017

 

Created a sweet shader in Marmoset to allow for easy color masking. Download it here if you want to use it:

>>Marmoset RGBA Mask Shader

Added some pipes to my library of textures to draw from.

pipes

Created a cool substance that allows me to automate great looking textures quickly.

Created a few more high poly texture tiles.

 

 

 

November 30th 2017

 

The geometry has been reworked but I still have the same basic texture tiles that seem to be holding up for now.

environment production progress

environment production progress

 

Still in marmoset, I dropped in a character and upped the render quality to indulge in some awe moments. Even though this is still so far from my goal, these small moments really help keep the motivation going:)

environment production progress

Blood decals were handled so well in Marmoset. I was pretty impressed with the result I could achieve.

environment production progress

environment production progress

environment production progress

environment production progress

 

Added a few more texture tiles and updated them with a little wear, still playing with colors.

environment production progress

environment production progress

environment production progress

 

Updated the geometry with more detail and had some fun with lights.

environment production progress

environment production progress

 

I figured Marmoset was a good place to play so I started testing extremely simple geometry with 2 different tiled textures to try and get a feel for the futuristic environment I have in mind.

environment production progress

environment production progress

 

About the Author
Senior 3D Technical Artist/Animator

Leave a Reply

*